Blog page 121




                                               

udol

udol is a predominantly ethnic Carpatho-Rusyn Greek Catholic village located in the former Saros County of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in present-day Stara Lubovna District of the Slovak Republic. In 1427 the village was named Wyak which later ev ...

                                               

Ulicske Krive

Ulicske Krive is a village and municipality in Snina District in the Presov Region of north-eastern Slovakia. In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1478. The municipality lies at an altitude of 285 metres and covers an area of ...

                                               

Uloza

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1280. Uloza was a village for people infected leprosy. Name of village is Uloza because word "bury" may be translated like "uloziť".

                                               

Velka Lomnica

Velka Lomnica is a large village and municipality in Kezmarok District in the Presov Region of north Slovakia.

                                               

Velkrop

The Club of Military History Beskydy finished its restoration work on the largest war cemetery in Slovakia in 2018. The cemetery is dated to the World War I. On Friday, September 28, 2018 it was made accessible to the public. 8862 soldiers of the ...

                                               

Velky Lipnik

Velky Lipnik is a village and municipality in Stara Ľubovna District in the Presov Region of northern Slovakia. The village is traditionally inhabited by Rusyns, as one of their westernmost settlements. There is Greek Catholic church built in 1794.

                                               

Velky Saris

Velky Saris is a small town near Presov in eastern Slovakia. The town is known as the site of the largest brewery in Slovakia - Saris Brewery.

                                               

Vernar

Vernar is a village and large municipality in Poprad District in the Presov Region of northern Slovakia. It lies between Low Tatras and Slovensky raj mountain ranges.

                                               

Vrbov

The first surviving mention was in a charter from 1251, when the Slavic village of Werbew was noted in a description of boundaries. In 1268, the German village "villa Menhardi" was noted. The two villages merged around 1271 and the resulting smal ...

                                               

Vysny Komarnik

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1600. During World War II, Vysny Komarnik was the first liberated village on the territory of then Czechoslovakia. In 1949, the Czechoslovak government erected a memorial and cemetery south ...

                                               

Zakovce

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1209. It was a village inhabited by Carpathian Germans from its foundation till January 1945.

                                               

Zborov, Bardejov District

The village is located in northeastern Slovakia, 10 km from the Polish border. There are marked walking trails to Zborov Castle and the surrounding hills. The old unused two steepled church, in the center of the village is currently being rebuilt ...

                                               

Zdiar

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1409. Its first name had been Stragan. Locals had been engaged in agriculture, pasturage and charcoal production. From the end of 19th century they began to be employed in tourism.

                                               

Beckov

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1208. Mihaly de genere Bana, royal equerry, who was the forefather of the Cseszneky family, performed several heroic deeds against the Mongolian invaders of Hungary during the invasion in 1 ...

                                               

Bolesov

Bolesov is a village and municipality in Ilava District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Bosaca

The name is derived from an adjective bosy.

                                               

Bosany

The village was established in 1924 by merging the former villages of Velke Bosany Hungarian: Nagybossany and Male Bosany Hungarian: Kisbossany. In 1960, the former village of Bastin Hungarian: Bacskafalva) was also merged into Bosany.

                                               

Brezolupy

Brezolupy is a village and municipality in Banovce nad Bebravou District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia. Not to be confused with Beezolupy in the Czech Republic.

                                               

Brezova pod Bradlom

Brezova pod Bradlom is a town in the Myjava District, Trencin Region, western Slovakia, at the western foothills of the Little Carpathians, in the Myjavske Kopanice region.

                                               

Brodzany

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1293. One of the owners – Duke Elimar of Oldenburg, husband of great Russian poet Alexandre Pushkins niece. Now in Brodzany castle is Pushkin museum.

                                               

Bukovec, Myjava District

Bukovec is a village and municipality in Myjava District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Bzince pod Javorinou

The municipality lies at an altitude of 227 metres and covers an area of 33.533 km². It has a population of about 2043 people including Ms. Adelaida.

                                               

Čelkova Lehota

Čelkova Lehota is a village and municipality in Povazska Bystrica District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia. The village lies in a beautiful natural environment near Strazovske vrchy mountain range at the end of Domaniza valley.

                                               

Červeny Kamen

Both Slovak and Hungarian names mean "red stone". The first written mention about the village is possesio seu willa Wewreskew 1439. Cherweny Kamen 1484 later also Rothenstein 1808.

                                               

Chynorany

Chynorany is a village and municipality in Partizanske District in the Trencin Region of western Slovakia. The village is located on the right bank of the river Nitra, approximately in the middle between the towns of Partizanske and Topolcany. No ...

                                               

Diviacka Nova Ves

Diviacka Nova Ves is a village and municipality in Prievidza District in the Trencin Region of western Slovakia.

                                               

Dolne Nastice

Dolne Nastice is a village and municipality in the Banovce nad Bebravou District of the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Dolny Lieskov

Dolny Lieskov is a village and municipality in Povazska Bystrica District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Dubodiel

The name comes from Slovak dub oak and diel a part. Dubodiel - probably an oak forest dividing the landscape into more parts. Dubowy del 1439, Dwbodyel 1493, Dubodiel 1598, Dubodiel 1773.

                                               

Haluzice, Nove Mesto nad Vahom District

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1299. A Romanesque church was built in the village by the Counts Cseszneky de Milvany. Later it was part of estates of Beckov castle.

                                               

Handlova

Handlova is a town in the Prievidza District, Trencin Region in the middle of Slovakia. It is made up of the three parts Handlova, Nova Lehota and Morovno.

                                               

Hatne

This article is about a village and municipality in north-western Slovakia. For other uses, see Hatne. Hatne Hungarian: Hatna is a village and municipality in Povazska Bystrica District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Horna Streda

Horna Streda is a village and municipality in Nove Mesto nad Vahom District in the Trencin Region of western Slovakia.

                                               

Horne Nastice

Horne Nastice is a village and municipality in Banovce nad Bebravou District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Horny Lieskov

Horny Lieskov is a village and municipality in Povazska Bystrica District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Ilava

The name is of uncertain origin. The historic medieval names were Lewe, Lewa the same historic name as Levice, Lewa de cidca fluviom Vag, later Ilava. The form Illava is known from the 19th century and was used after the Austro-Hungarian Compromi ...

                                               

Jablonka, Myjava District

Jablonka is a village and municipality in the Myjava District in the Trencin Region of West Slovakia. The name Jablonka literally translates as a small apple tree, which can be explained by the large number of apple trees in and around the village.

                                               

Jasenica (village)

Jasenica is lying in Povazie region in Papradno valley among four hills Hradiste, Dubrava, Sudna and Lopusna. Across this valley flows river called Papradnianka. The municipality lies at an altitude of 311 metres and covers an area of 7.298 km². ...

                                               

Kamenec pod Vtacnikom

Kamenec pod Vtacnikom is a village and municipality in Prievidza District in the Trencin Region of western Slovakia. It includes the former separate villages Horny Kamenec and Dolny Kamenec.

                                               

Klacno

In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1413. Until the end of World War II this village was also known as Gaidel. Many of the residents were ethnic Germans Catholic and were displaced by the Russian invasion and the later expuls ...

                                               

Klatova Nova Ves

Klatova Nova Ves is a village and municipality in Partizanske District in the Trencin Region of western Slovakia. It was named until 1927 Klatnovejsa.

                                               

Kosariska

Kosariska is a village and municipality in Myjava District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Koseca

The municipality lies at an altitude of 255 metres and covers an area of 18.943 km². It has a population of about 2474 people. Part of the cadastral municipality of Koseca is also Nozdrovice.

                                               

Kostolna-Zariecie

Kostolna-Zariecie is a village and municipality in Trencin District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.

                                               

Lednicke Rovne

Lednicke Rovne is a village and municipality in Puchov District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia.The municipality consists of three parts: Horenicka Horka Lednicke Rovne Medne

                                               

Mojtin

Mojtin is a village and municipality in Puchov District in the Trencin Region of north-western Slovakia. Laszlo Skultety, the oldest Hungarian hussar, was born here.

                                               

Myjava

It is located in the Myjava Hills at the foothills of the White Carpathians and nearby the Little Carpathians. The river Myjava flows through the town. It is 10 km away from the Czech border, 35 km from Skalica and 100 km from Bratislava.

                                               

Nemsova

It is located in the Ilava Basin on the Vah and Vlara rivers at the foothills of the White Carpathians. It is 15 km 9.32 mi from Trencin and 10 km 6.21 mi from the Czech border.

                                               

Nitrianske Pravno

Nitrianske Pravno is a village and municipality in Prievidza District in the Trencin Region of western Slovakia.

                                               

Nova Dubnica

The town was established in the 1950s originally for the purpose of housing workers of the local heavy machinery factory Zavody ťazkeho strojarstva. Therefore, it can be described as a bedroom community. Construction started in 1951, and became s ...