Blog page 190




                                               

Hundred of Finniss (South Australia)

The Hundred of Finniss is a cadastral unit of hundred in South Australia on the west bank of the lower Murray River. It is one of the ten hundreds of the County of Sturt. The main population centre in the hundred is the township of Mannum, a rive ...

                                               

Hundred of Forrest

The Hundred of Forrest is a cadastral hundred of the County of Robinson in South Australia. It is located at 32°47′50″S 134°12′40″E on the coast on the western side of the Eyre Peninsula, in South Australia just off the Flinders Highway 303 kilom ...

                                               

Hundred of Horn

It overlooks the Great Australian Bight about 585 kilometres 364 miles north-west of the Adelaide city centre and about 34 kilometres 21 miles west of the town centre of Ceduna. By one reading of the book Gullivers Travels, the hundred would be t ...

                                               

Hundred of Hutchison (South Australia)

The Hundred of Hutchison is a hundred in the County of Flinders, South Australia. It was proclaimed on 24 October 1867. According to state government records the name is likely derived from either the politician James Hutchison or Commander John ...

                                               

Hundred of Jutland

The Hundred of Jutland is a hundred of the County of Sturt in South Australia. It is located on the east Mount Lofty Ranges foothills. The Hundred of South Rhine was proclaimed in 1851 but the name was changed in 1918 to the current, after the Ba ...

                                               

Hundred of Makin

The Hundred of Makin is a cadastral unit of hundred located in the Australian state of South Australia within the County of Buckingham and the state government region of the Limestone Coast about 210 kilometres south-east of the state capital of ...

                                               

Hundred of Mayurra

The Hundred of Mayurra is a cadastral division of the County of Grey in southeastern South Australia. It was named on 15 July 1869 for an Aboriginal word meaning fern straws. There are no significant towns in the Hundred of Mayurra. It is south o ...

                                               

Hundred of Mount Benson

The Hundred of Mount Benson, is a hundred in the County of Robe, within the Limestone Coast region of South Australia. The Hundred is located at 36.942°S 139.818°E, about 252 km 157 mi south-east of Adelaide city centre. The main economic activit ...

                                               

Hundred of Mount Muirhead

The Hundred of Mount Muirhead is a cadastral division of the County of Grey in southeastern South Australia. It was named on 15 July 1869 for the geographical feature of the same name which, in turn, was named by Charles Bonney for one of his sto ...

                                               

Hundred of Parsons (South Australia)

The Hundred of Parsons is a cadastral division of the County of MacDonnell in southeastern South Australia. It was named on 22 May 1884 for politician John Langdon Parsons. Two township of Padthaway, South Australia lies at the southern extremity ...

                                               

Hundred of Ripon

The Hundred of Ripon is a cadastral hundred of the County of Robinson in South Australia, and is near Streaky Bay, South Australia on the Eyre Peninsula.

                                               

Hundred of Roby

The Hundred of Roby is a hundred within the County of Buccleuch in the Mallee region of South Australia. The only township within the hundred is Coomandook, a settlement about 120 kilometres 75 mi east-south-east of Adelaide on Dukes Highway. Par ...

                                               

Hundred of Stokes

The Hundred of Stokes is a hundred in the County of Flinders, South Australia. It was proclaimed on 21 November 1878. The name is derived from Francis William Stokes, a member of the South Australian Parliament. Its extent includes the entirety o ...

                                               

Hundred of Terowie

The Hundred of Terowie is a cadastral hundred of South Australia centred on the town of Terowie, South Australia. Terowie is an Aboriginal word meaning hidden waterhole first applied to Terowie Creek. It was here the Douglas Macarthur first used ...

                                               

Hundred of Wirreanda

The Hundred of Wirreanda is a cadastral unit of hundred in the County of Granville, South Australia. The township of Cradock is at the hundreds centre. The hundred is crossed from east to west by Wirreanda Creek.

                                               

Hundred of Wright

The Hundred of Wright is a cadastral hundred of County of Robinson in South Australia. It spans the west coast of the state at Venus Bay, 655 kilometres west of Adelaide.

                                               

Hundred of Yackamoorundie

The Hundred of Yackamoorundie is a cadastral unit of hundred in the County of Stanley, South Australia. The main town of the hundred is Yacka, which was named after the hundred, the hundred in turn being named after Yackamoorundie Creek. The boun ...

                                               

Hundred of Yanyarrie

It was proclaimed on 18 January 1877 and its school opened in 1882 but closed in 1954. "The Yanyarrie Post Office opened in June 1878 and the Yanyarrie School in 1873; the latter closed in 1954. The Yanyarrie Whim Post Office, opened in 1877 betw ...

                                               

Hundred of Yednalue

The Hundred of Yednalue was proclaimed on 18 January 1877 in the County of Granville. In 1885, it was reported that "all the spinifex or porcupine grass which affords both food and shelter for the rabbits was systematically burned so the rabbits ...

                                               

Lake Indawarra

Lake Indawarra is an artificial lake, created as a rubble pit for railway construction, located in the town of Tintinara in the Murray Mallee region of South Australia. The lake was created by railroad workers in 1905 and was given its name in th ...

                                               

Iron Baron, South Australia

Iron Baron was a settlement associated with the Iron Baron iron ore mine on Eyre Peninsula at the southern edge of South Australias Far North region, 413 kilometres north-west of Adelaide. The settlement was situated about 200 metres from the eas ...

                                               

Ironstone, South Australia

Ironstone is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located on the north coast of Dudley Peninsula on Kangaroo Island overlooking Backstairs Passage about 107 kilometres south of the state capital of Adelaide and about 3 kilometres ...

                                               

Island Beach, South Australia

Island Beach is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia overlooking Eastern Cove in Nepean Bay on the north-west coast of the Dudley Peninsula on Kangaroo Island about 121 kilometres from the state capital of Adelaide and about 21 k ...

                                               

Jervois, South Australia

Jervois is a town in South Australia, on the right bank of the lower Murray River. At the 2006 census, Jervois and the surrounding area had a population of 283. Jervois is predominantly a farming community, especially dairy farming on the floodpl ...

                                               

Kalangadoo, South Australia

Kalangadoo is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located about 348 kilometres south-east of the state capital of Adelaide and about 31 kilometres north of the regional centre of Mount Gambier. It was originally proclaimed as Ka ...

                                               

Kaḻayapiṯi

Kaḻayapiṯi is a rock hole in the Birksgate Range in northwestern South Australia. It is an important location in the early history of the Pitjantjatjara people. The name comes from the words kaḻaya and piṯi. It is a major sacred site for the Kaḻa ...

                                               

Kangaroo Head

Kangaroo Head is a headland in the Australian state of South Australia located at the north-west tip of Dudley Peninsula on Kangaroo Island. It was named by the British explorer, Matthew Flinders, on 23 March 1802.

                                               

Kangaroo Head, South Australia

Kangaroo Head is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located on the north coast of Dudley Peninsula on Kangaroo Island overlooking both Backstairs Passage and Nepean Bay about 110 kilometres south of the state capital of Adelaid ...

                                               

Kanmantoo group

The Kanmantoo group is a label for the kind of rocks found predominantly along the eastern side of the southern Mount Lofty Ranges, including Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island. Examples of where they are visible at the surface include severa ...

                                               

Kanmantoo, South Australia

Kanmantoo is a settlement in South Australia. It is southeast of Adelaide in the eastern Adelaide Hills. It is in the catchment basin of the Bremer River.

                                               

Karatta, South Australia

Karatta is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located on the south coast of Kangaroo Island overlooking the body of water known in Australia as the Southern Ocean and by international authorities as the Great Australian Bight. ...

                                               

Kenton Valley, South Australia

Kenton Valley is a locality named for a valley located between Gumeracha and Lobethal, about 40 km east of Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the Adelaide Hills Council local government area. The area contains cherry and strawberry farms ...

                                               

Keyneton, South Australia

Keyneton is a locality in South Australia. The town is in the Mid Murray Council local government area, 82 kilometres north-east of the state capital, Adelaide. At the 2011 census, Keyneton and the surrounding area had a population of 534. The to ...

                                               

Ki South Australia

Ki is a small town in South Australia. It is on the Dukes Highway adjacent to the Adelaide-Melbourne railway, the main links between Adelaide and Melbourne. The town is the primary settlement for the Hundred of Livingston. The town was proclaimed ...

                                               

Kingsford, South Australia

Kingsford is a locality in South Australia located about 46 kilometres north of the Adelaide city centre. The Sturt Highway crosses the locality which is bounded by the Thiele Highway on the northwest, Roseworthy and Gomersal Roads on the north a ...

                                               

Kingston SE

Kingston SE is a town in the Australian state of South Australia located in the states south-east coastline on the shores of Lacepede Bay. It is located about 240 kilometres southeast of the state capital of Adelaide and 138 kilometres north-west ...

                                               

Kongorong, South Australia

Kongorong is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located southwest of Mount Gambier. It has an Australian rules football team and netball team. Kongorong Primary School had 61 students in 2010. The 2016 Australian census which w ...

                                               

Koolunga, South Australia

Koolunga is a town in the Mid North of South Australia. According to the 2016 Australian Census, the population of the town and surrounding area is approximately 200.

                                               

Koonibba

Koonibba is a locality and an associated Aboriginal community in South Australia located about 586 kilometres northwest of the state capital of Adelaide and about 38 kilometres northwest of the municipal seat in Ceduna and 5 kilometres north of t ...

                                               

Kunytjanu, South Australia

Kunytjanu is an Aboriginal outstation and waterhole in northwestern South Australia. It is serviced from the community of Pipalyatjara to the north. It is located on the road between Pipalyatjara and Watarru. The outstation was established in 197 ...

                                               

Lake Bonney SE

Lake Bonney SE is a coastal freshwater lake located in the Limestone Coast region of South Australia in the gazetted locality of Canunda. It has surface area of 79 square kilometres. The lake is located 450 km 280 mi south east of Adelaide and 13 ...

                                               

Lake Cadibarrawirracanna

Lake Cadibarrawirracanna, informally known as Lake Cadi, is a salt lake located in the Australian state of South Australia in the locality of Anna Creek in the states Far North region about 735 kilometres north-west of the state capital of Adelai ...

                                               

Lake Dutton

Lake Dutton, formerly known as Lake Gill, is a salt lake in the Australian state of South Australia located in the locality of Oakden Hills on the west side of the Stuart Highway, approximately 100 kilometres north-west of Port Augusta in the sta ...

                                               

Lake Gregory (South Australia)

Lake Gregory is a salt lake located in the Far North region of South Australia. The lake lies to the west of Lake Blanche; to the east the Birdsville Track runs in between it and Lake Eyre.

                                               

Lake Hawdon System Important Bird Area

The Lake Hawdon System Important Bird Area comprises an area of 374 square kilometres covering a series of five coastal lakes in the Limestone Coast of South Australia. They are the most important of a string of regional lakes occupying swale cor ...

                                               

Lake Plains, South Australia

Lake Plains is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located about 64 kilometres south of the Adelaide city centre and 27 kilometres northeast of the centre of Goolwa on the west coastline of Lake Alexandrina. Lake Plains is repor ...

                                               

Lake Torrens Station

Lake Torrens Station is a rural locality in central South Australia. Lake Torrens Station is located between the Lake Torrens foreshore and The Ghan railway line. The area is part of an arid plain between the Flinders Ranges and Lake Torrens, and ...

                                               

Laura Bay

Laura Bay is a bay in the Australian state of South Australia on the west coast of Eyre Peninsula located about 15 kilometres southeast of Ceduna. Laura Bay is an inlet that opens into the northern end of a larger bay known as Smoky Bay and which ...

                                               

Leasingham, South Australia

Leasingham is the name of a hamlet on the southern edge of the Clare Valley, in the Mid North of South Australia. It is approximately 117 kilometres from the states capital, Adelaide and 17 kilometres south of the town of Clare. Although the surr ...

                                               

Lenswood, South Australia

Lenswood is a semi-rural village situated in the Adelaide Hills east of Adelaide, South Australia. The major industries are apples, pears, cherries and wine grapes.