Blog page 227



                                               

Benslie

This village, previously Benislay 1205, Beinslay Timothy Pont 1604 - 08, Bainsley in 1821 John Ainslies map, Bensley Groome 1903, Benslee or Benslee square on the 1860 OS map, Bendslee is situated next to Benslie wood. The village sits on the B 7 ...

                                               

Broadstone Castle

The ruins of Braidstone or Broadstone Castle NS 362 531 remained until about 1850. but when Broadstonehall Farm buildings were being rebuilt, the castle was pulled down and its stones used in the building works, the Broadstone Crags, the site of ...

                                               

Burnhouse

Burnhouse, sometimes known locally as The Trap from Man Trap is a small village or hamlet in North Ayrshire, Parish of Beith, Scotland. It lies on a crossroads of old B706 and the more recent A736 Lochlibo Road, between Lugton and Torranyard.

                                               

Caaf Water

The Caaf Water in western Scotland drains from the Caaf Reservoir above Dalry which is fed from Knockendon Reservoir. The Caaf Waters origins are springs below Green Hill and it is joined by the Bught Burn, the Reeves Burn, the Bradshaw Burn and ...

                                               

Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park

Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park is the collective name for areas of countryside set aside for conservation and recreation on the South Clyde estuary in Scotland. The Park covers an area of 280 km 2 110 square miles of Inverclyde, North Ayrshire and ...

                                               

Cunninghamhead

Cunninghamhead is a hamlet on the Annick Water in the Parish of Dreghorn, North Ayrshire, Scotland. The area was part of the old Cunninghamhead estate, and once contained several watermills.

                                               

Cunninghamhead, Perceton and Annick Lodge

Cunninghamhead is a hamlet in North Ayrshire, Scotland. It was the centre of the lands of Cunninghamhead, Perceton and Annick Lodge in Cunninghame. This mainly rural area is noted for its milk and cheese production and the Ayrshire, Cunninghame o ...

                                               

Drakemyre, North Ayrshire

Drakemyre or Drakemire was once a distinct village on the Rye Water in North Ayrshire, Parish of Dalry, Scotland. The settlement on the B780 road to Kilbirnie has become incorporated as a suburb within the town of Dalry.

                                               

Drukken Steps

The Drukken, Drucken Steps or Drunken Steps were stepping stones across the Red Burn in Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland and are associated with Scotlands national poet, Robert Burns. Drukken is used on the commemorative cairn plaque, but Druken ...

                                               

Eglinton Country Park

Eglinton Country Park is located in the grounds of the old Eglinton Castle estate, Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland. Eglinton Park is situated in the parish of Kilwinning, part of the former district of Cunninghame, and covers an area of 400 ...

                                               

Eglinton Loch

Eglinton Loch is a small freshwater loch in the North Ayrshire Council Areas, lying in a holm of the Lugton Water near Irvine and Kilwinning, within Eglinton Country Park, in the parish of Kilwinning. The loch has 3 small islands within it and is ...

                                               

Fergushill

Fergushill is a small community in North Ayrshire, Parish of Kilwinning, Scotland. The Barony of Fergushill was held by the Fergushill family of that Ilk and the area has a complex history.

                                               

Gateside, North Ayrshire

Gateside Primary School was opened in 1903, and nowadays it has 74 pupils 2009. The school has an extension built in 1998 which provided indoor toilets and a school hall, which is used by the nursery, PE classes, and for school dinners and assemb ...

                                               

Geilsland House

Geilsland House lies in between the village of Gateside and the town of Beith in North Ayrshire, Scotland. After serving as a private house it became a school and most recently has passed into the ownership of the Beith Development Community Trust.

                                               

Gree Goods station

Gree Goods station or Gree Depot as it was listed in the Caledonian Railway Working Timetable was a relatively short lived railway freight facility located approximately one miles south of Lugton on the A736 Lochlibo Road, North Ayrshire, Scotlan ...

                                               

Greenhills, North Ayrshire

Greenhills is a small village or hamlet in North Ayrshire, Parish of Beith, Scotland. It lies between the settlements of Barrmill and hamlet of Burnhouse on a crossroads of the B706 and the lanes to Nettlehirst and Tandlehill via Thirdpart. It is ...

                                               

Highfield, North Ayrshire

Highfield is a small village or hamlet in North Ayrshire, Parish of Dalry, Scotland. It is situated between the settlements of Barkip and Dalry on the A737 at a junction with the B777. It lies in the lands of the old Barony of Kersland, the ruins ...

                                               

Irvine Harbour

The harbours serving Irvine at Seagatefoot and Fullarton in North Ayrshire have had a long and complex history. Irvines harbour was one of the most important ports in Scotland in the 16th century. Across from the main harbour at Fullarton on the ...

                                               

Kennox House

Kennox House is situated on Kilwinning Road between Stewarton to Torranyard in North Ayrshire, Parish of Dunlop, Scotland. The house overlooks the Glazert Burn, which runs into the Annick Water at Watermeetings.

                                               

Lambroughton

Lambroughton is a village in the old Barony of Kilmaurs, Scotland. This is a rural area famous for its milk and cheese production and the Ayrshire or Dunlop breed of cattle. Although Kilmaurs in the Council area East Ayrshire, Lambroughton now ac ...

                                               

Lands of Willowyard

The ancient lands of Willowyard, Willieyeards, Williyard or Willizeards were part of the holdings of the Regality of Kilwinning, Barony of Beith, and Bailiary of Cuninghame. They later became the property of the Montgomerie family before being so ...

                                               

Lawthorn

The Annick Water flows between the village of Perceton and the hamlet of Lawthorn, however, the OS map shows that the hamlet was subsumed into the village of Perceton by 1895 and lost much of its identity. Lawthorn Cottage and Lawthornbank Smithy ...

                                               

Lissens Goods station

Lissens Goods station or Lissens Sidings station was a railway freight facility located approximately two miles north-east of Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland. It served the industrial and agricultural requirements for transportation in the v ...

                                               

Lowes Loch (Ayrshire)

Lowes Loch, The Lochs or Loch of Hill is now a small natural freshwater loch in the North Ayrshire Council Areas, lying in a glacial kettle hole, once of greater extent, lying below Brownmuir and Lochland Hills on the Threepwood Road, near Beith, ...

                                               

Lylestone

Lylestone is a hamlet in North Ayrshire, Parish of Kilwinning, Scotland. The habitation is situated between Kilwinning and Auchentiber on the B778. It was originally built as a row of housing for quarry workers.

                                               

Meigle, North Ayrshire

Meigle or Meagle is a hamlet on the Meigle Burn in North Ayrshire, Parish of Largs, Scotland. The settlement lies close to the road to Greenock and is named after the bay where the Skelmorlie Burn flows into the Firth of Clyde. Meigle once stood ...

                                               

Montfode Castle

The remains of the old castle of Montfode or Monfode lie to the north-west of the town of Ardrossan and 1.5 miles south-west of West Kilbride in North Ayrshire, Scotland, above the Montfode Braes, in the old Barony of Kilbride. The remains of the ...

                                               

Montgreenan

Montgreenan is an estate in North Ayrshire, Parish of Kilwinning, Scotland. The Lugton Water runs through the policies and farmland of Montgreenan. Nearby are the hamlets of Torranyard and Auchentiber.

                                               

Nettlehirst

Nettlehirst or Nettlehurst was a small mansion house and estate in the Parish of Beith, near Barrmill in North Ayrshire, Scotland. The house was built in 1844 and burned down in 1932.

                                               

Perceton

Perceton is a medieval settlement and old country estate in North Ayrshire, Scotland, near the town of Irvine. The ruined church in Perceton is one of the oldest buildings in the Irvine district. The earliest legible gravestone dates from 1698, t ...

                                               

Piperheugh

Piperheugh, Pipers-Heugh, or even Piperhaugh was a hamlet in North Ayrshire, Parish of Stevenston, Scotland. The inhabitants were recorded as famous manufacturers of trumps, or Jews harps. The village only survived as ruins by 1837 and no remnant ...

                                               

Seagate Castle

Seagate Castle is a castle in North Ayrshire, in the town of Irvine, close to the River Irvine, Scotland. The castle was formerly a stronghold, a town house, and later a dower house of the Montgomery Clan. The castle overlooks the oldest street i ...

                                               

Shewalton House and estate

Shewalton House and estate were composed of the Lands of Shewalton and the lairds dwelling, originally a tower castle and later a mansion house on the River Irvine in the Shewalton area, two miles from Irvine and west of Drybridge village, East A ...

                                               

Springside, Ayrshire

The village of Springside is in North Ayrshire, Parish of Dreghorn, Scotland. It is three miles from Irvine, 1 ⁄ 2 miles west of Crosshouse and four miles from Kilmarnock. In the 18th, 19th and mid-20th centuries, the locality was a highly indust ...

                                               

Stevenston

Stevenston is a town and parish in North Ayrshire, Scotland. It is one of the Three Towns along with Ardrossan and Saltcoats, on the east coast of the Firth of Clyde.

                                               

Swindridgemuir House and estate

Swindridgemuir House and estate were composed of the Lands of Swindridgemuir and the dwelling house about two miles north-east of Dalry in the old Barony of Kersland, about a mile and a half north of the Blair Estate, North Ayrshire, Scotland. Th ...

                                               

Thorntoun house and estate

Thorntoun School was opened by Barnardos in September 1971 for children with emotional difficulties aged 11 to 16 years. The school closed in 1990 and Thorntoun is now a nursing home. The complex lies between the villages of Springside and Crossh ...

                                               

Torranyard

Torranyard is a small village or hamlet in North Ayrshire, Parish of Kilwinning, Scotland. It lies between the settlements of Auchentiber and Irvine on the A736 Lochlibo Road.

                                               

History of Coatbridge

The history of Coatbridge, Scotland, is one of dramatic change. The town transformed from an obscure group of 18th century Lanarkshire hamlets strung out on the road between Glasgow and Airdrie to a world leading centre of iron production in the ...

                                               

Jerviston

Jerviston is a country estate on the north-eastern edge of the Scottish town of Motherwell in North Lanarkshire which is now occupied by Colville Park Country Club. The estate was once the site of a small castle, the Lairds house built in the 15t ...

                                               

Gowrie

Gowrie is a region and ancient province of Scotland, covering the eastern sliver of what became Perthshire. It was located to the immediate east of Atholl, and originally included the area around Perth, though that was later detached as Perthia. ...

                                               

History of Perth, Scotland

Perth is a city and former royal burgh in central Scotland. There has been a settlement at Perth since prehistoric times. Finds in and around Perth show that it was occupied by the Mesolithic hunter-gatherers who arrived in the area more than 8.0 ...

                                               

Auchenbathie Tower

Auchenbathie, Auchinbathie Tower or rarely Barcraigs Tower is a ruined fortification, a tower house, once held by the Wallace Clan of Elderslie, situated in Renfrewshire, Parish of Lochwinnoch, Scotland. The spelling used varies greatly and "Auch ...

                                               

Inkerman, Renfrewshire

Inkerman was a small hamlet set up in 1858 in the Abbey Parish of Paisley to house ironstone miners. Later employment came from ancillary operations, including shale coal and oilworks. There were seven pits in all in Inkerman. The hamlet was name ...

                                               

Renfrew Castle

Renfrew Castle was situated at the royal burgh of Renfrew, Scotland, which is near the confluence of the River Clyde and the River Cart. The original 12th-century castle was built by Walter fitz Alan, Steward of Scotland, upon a river islet known ...

                                               

The Peel of Castle Semple

The ruins of The Peel of Castle Semple or the Castle Semple Loch Peel Tower, once designated in Scottish Reformation times as the Defender of the Faith lie in Castle Semple Loch, Parish of Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland. The castle stands on ...

                                               

Alloway Mote

The Scheduled Ancient Monument of Alloway Mote, also known as the Alloway Moat or Alloway Motte, is a roughly circular earthwork that is regarded as a possible early medieval ringwork, located near the town of Alloway in South Ayrshire, Scotland.

                                               

Carcluie Loch

Carcluie Loch is a small freshwater loch in the South Ayrshire Council Area, lying in a glacial Kettle Hole, Parish of Dalrymple, Scotland.

                                               

Coodham

Coodham, also previously known as Cowdam or Cowdams, is a place near Symington in South Ayrshire, Scotland. The land was held Mure family in the 14th century.

                                               

Craigie Castle

Craigie Castle, in the old Barony of Craigie, is a ruined fortification situated about 4 miles southeast of Kilmarnock and 1 mile southeast of Craigie village, in the Civil Parish of Craigie, South Ayrshire, Scotland. The castle is recognised as ...

Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →