Blog page 242



                                               

Beales Crossing

Beales Crossing, was a river crossing of the Colorado River, near the head of the Mohave Valley, between New Mexico Territory and California along the along the 35th Parallel route of Beales Wagon Road. The crossing was located at what became the ...

                                               

El Llano, Arizona

El Llano, Spanish for "the plain or open space" or Buen Llano, "good plain", one of the 19th century Pima Villages, was located along the south side of the Gila River, between Sweetwater and Sacaton, in what is now the Gila River Indian Community ...

                                               

Ewell Station

Ewell Station, a later station of the Butterfield Overland Mail located 24.4 miles east of Dragoon Springs, Arizona and 12.22 miles west of Apache Pass Station. This station shortened the route between Dragoon Springs and Apache Pass Stations and ...

                                               

Fort Naco

Fort Naco, Camp Naco, or Fort Newell began as a camp in the Southwest United States, on the outskirts of Naco, Arizona as part of the Mexican Border Project. Over time adobe and wooden buildings were constructed to house the garrison along with o ...

                                               

Hormiguerito, Arizona

Hormiguerito, or Ormejera No.2 in an 1858 census, one of the smaller 19th century Pima Villages, located along the Gila River, in what is now the Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County, Arizona. Hormiguero, Spanish for "ant hill", with the d ...

                                               

Hormiguero, Arizona

Hormiguero, Spanish for "anthill", one of the 19th century Pima Villages, was located along the Gila River, in what is now the Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County, Arizona.

                                               

Hueso Parado

Hueso Parado, Spanish for" Standing Bone” or El Juez Tarado Spanish for "The Judge Tarado", was the largest village of the Maricopa people in the 19th century, in what is now the Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County, Arizona. El Hueso time ...

                                               

Pima Villages

Pima Villages, sometimes mistakenly called the Pimos Villages in the 19th century, were the Akimel O’odham and Pee-Posh villages in what is now the Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County, Arizona. First, recorded by Spanish explorers in the ...

                                               

Stoneman Military Trail

The Stoneman Road, an important supply road between Fort McDowell and Fort Whipple in Prescott between 1870 and 1890. It was an important conduit for the shipping of supplies from Fort Whipple in Prescott to Fort McDowell on what is today the Yav ...

                                               

Sweetwater, Pinal County, Arizona

Sweetwater, is a populated place located along the south side of the Gila River, between Sacaton and Casa Blanca, in what is now the Gila River Indian Community in Pinal County, Arizona at an elevation of 1.211 feet.

                                               

Holford Bonds

The Holford Bonds were a series of real estate bonds that have their roots in the founding of the state and created political turmoil in Arkansas as late as 1906. Arkansas joined the Union in 1836, right before the panic of 1837. The original Con ...

                                               

Maxines Tap Room

Located on 107 N. Block Ave. It is one of the oldest bars in Northwest Arkansas. Marjorie Maxine Miller opened the bar in 1950 when she was 24 years old with money she borrowed from her parents. She managed to pay her parents back within the year ...

                                               

Quicksilver Rush

The Quicksilver Rush was a mining rush for cinnabar in southwest Arkansas and the Ozarks, mostly in Pike and Clark counties, beginning around 1931, in the early days of the Great Depression when people were desperate for jobs. Mining of cinnabar ...

                                               

California interim government, 1846–1850

A California interim government existed from mid-1846 until September, 1850. United States military occupation of territory comprising todays U.S. state of California came soon after the outbreak of the Mexican–American War in 1846. Occupation re ...

                                               

List of California State Militia Units 1850–60

Mountain Riflemen, New York Flat, 1855 - 1857 Opposed Indian hostilities. Independent New York Guard, New York Flat, 1855. Downey Guard, Timbuctoo, 1860-1861 Opposed Indian hostilities. Yuba Guard, Yuba County, 1855-1857 Opposed lawlessness, Indi ...

                                               

Klamath County, California

Klamath County was a county of California from 1851 to 1874. During its existence, the county seat moved twice and ultimately portions of the territory it once had were carved up and added to nearby counties. It was formed from the northwestern p ...

                                               

Rockville Stone Chapel

An outgrowth of local camp meetings, Rockville Stone Chapel was constructed in the Fall of 1856, in use by Christmas of that year, and dedicated in February 1857. Divisions in the congregation over slavery soon split the congregation, with the No ...

                                               

Colorado 1870–2000

Colorado 1870–2000 is a pictoral history of frontier Colorado consisting of repeat photography by photographers William Henry Jackson and John Fielder. This book is also a collaboration with the Colorado Historical Society.

                                               

Colorado-Texas Tomato War

The Colorado-Texas Tomato War was an annual event held at Twin Lakes, Lake County, Colorado. It was started in 1982 by local hotel owner Taylor Adams, ended in the early 1990s, and was revived in 2011. The event, held in September, pitted hundred ...

                                               

Evergreen Conference District

Evergreen Conference District is a music conference center in Jefferson County, Colorado, near Evergreen. It was listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places on May 1, 1979. The district is located at Highway 74 along ...

                                               

Jacob Flowers

Jacob Flowers was an early white 19th century settler in Larimer County, Colorado. He was the founder of the town of Bellvue northwest of Fort Collins.

                                               

Fort Collins Agricultural Colony

The Fort Collins Agricultural Colony was a 19th-century enterprise in Larimer County, Colorado to promote new agricultural and commercial settlement in and around the town of Fort Collins. Founded in the autumn of 1872 as an outgrowth of the Unio ...

                                               

Fort Morgan Cut-Off

The Fort Morgan Cut-Off of the Overland Stage Company passed through Adams County, Colorado. It was established in September 1862 as an offshoot of the Overland Trail. The established stage route traveled through the present day towns of Greeley ...

                                               

La Placita, Colorado

La Placita was a small 1890s Hispanic settlement located in southeastern Colorado in the Purgatoire River Valley. The name "La Placita" is the New Mexican Spanish word for small plaza. It is located south of La Junta and east of Trinidad on the g ...

                                               

Fort Massachusetts (Colorado)

Fort Massachusetts was a military installation built in the San Luis Valley in Southern Colorado. It was located near the western bank of Ute Creek on the base of Mount Blanca and sat at an elevation of 8.000 feet.

                                               

Pogonomyrmex fossilis

Pogonomyrmex fossilis is an extinct ant species which lived during the Eocene 34 million years ago. The species built nests primarily destined to store seeds and grains as winter stock. The ant has an average length of six millimeter and an avera ...

                                               

Quaintance Block

The Quaintance Block was the first storefront in historic downtown Golden, Colorado, to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1911, it is a one-of-a-kind architectural landmark combining Victorian and presaging modern st ...

                                               

Society of Colorado Pioneers

The Society of Colorado Pioneers was formed in 1872 to recognize and support the first Anglo American settlers in Colorado. The organization originally only for men, spun off a womans auxiliary group and later a sons group. In 1943 the "Society o ...

                                               

Territory of Colorado (California)

Territory of Colorado was an 1859-60 attempt by Californios and pro-slavery Southerners to separate the southern counties of California into a separate Territory of the United States. Californios dissatisfied with inequitable taxes land laws and ...

                                               

Union Colony of Colorado

The Union Colony of Colorado was a 19th-century private enterprise formed to promote agricultural settlements in the South Platte River valley in the Colorado Territory. Organization of the colony began in October 1869 by Nathan Meeker in order t ...

                                               

Virginia Dale, Colorado

Virginia Dale is a tiny unincorporated community located in northwestern Larimer County, Colorado, United States. Virginia Dale is situated in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains on U.S. Highway 287, approximately 45 mi northwest of Ft. Collins ...

                                               

Connecticut in the American Civil War

The New England state of Connecticut played an important role in the American Civil War, providing arms, equipment, technology, money, supplies, and manpower for the Union Army, as well as the Union Navy. Several Connecticut politicians played si ...

                                               

Gregorys Four Corners Burial Ground

Gregorys Four Corners Burial Ground, a cemetery established in Trumbull, Connecticut in 1761, is located on Spring Hill Road near the Monroe town line and is maintained by the Trumbull Parks Commission.

                                               

Historical United States Census totals for Windham County, Connecticut

This article shows U.S. Census totals for Windham County, Connecticut, broken down by municipality, from 1900 to 2000. Like most areas of New England, Windham County, and was at all times, long before the 20th century is fully shared on the inclu ...

                                               

Historical United States Census totals for Fairfield County, Connecticut

This article shows U.S. Census totals for Fairfield County, Connecticut, broken down by municipality, from 1900 to 2000. Like most areas of New England, Fairfield County and was at all times to the beginning of the 20th century is fully shared on ...

                                               

Historical United States Census totals for Hartford County, Connecticut

This article shows U.S. Census totals for Hartford County, Connecticut, broken down by municipality, from 1900 to 2010. Like most areas of New Britain, County of Hartford and has been in all times, long before the 20th century is fully shared on ...

                                               

Historical United States Census totals for Litchfield County, Connecticut

This article shows U.S. Census totals for Litchfield County, Connecticut, broken down by municipality, from 1900 to 2000. Like most areas of New England, Litchfield County is and was at all times to the beginning of the 20th century is fully shar ...

                                               

Historical United States Census totals for Middlesex County, Connecticut

This article shows U.S. Census totals for Middlesex County, Connecticut, broken down by municipality, from 1900 to 2000. Like most areas of New England, middlesex County is and was at all times to the beginning of the 20th century is fully shared ...

                                               

Historical United States Census totals for New Haven County, Connecticut

This article shows U.S. Census totals for New Haven County, Connecticut, broken down by municipality, from 1900 to 2000. Like most areas of New England, Connecticut, and was at all times, long before the 20th century is fully shared on the includ ...

                                               

Historical United States Census totals for Tolland County, Connecticut

This article shows U.S. Census totals for Tolland County, Connecticut, broken down by municipality, from 1900 to 2000. Like most areas of New England, Tolland County is and was at all times to the beginning of the 20th century is fully shared on ...

                                               

The Lakeville Journal

The Lakeville Journal is an American weekly newspaper in Lakeville, Connecticut. It is published by The Lakeville Journal Company, which also publishes the Millerton News and published the Winsted Journal as a separate publication until it merged ...

                                               

Stepney Cemetery

Stepney Cemetery is an old cemetery in Monroe, Connecticut, located in the village of Stepney. It was established next to the Stepney Green in 1794. Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried in the cemetery, the oldest headstone belongs to N ...

                                               

Union Cemetery (Easton, Connecticut)

Union Cemetery is a cemetery located near Stepney Road in Easton, Connecticut. The site dates back to the 1700s. According to ghost hunters, it is one of the "most haunted" cemeteries in the entire United States. Connecticut demonologists Ed and ...

                                               

Pine Barrens speculation

From 1789 to 1796, Georgia governors George Walton, Edward Telfair and, George Mathews, while in office, made gifts of land grants covering more than three times as much land as Georgia then contained. In all they made grants of 29.097.866 acres ...

                                               

Trustees for the Establishment of the Colony of Georgia in America

The Trustees for the Establishment of the Colony of Georgia in America, or simply the Georgia Trustees, was organized by James Edward Oglethorpe and associates following Parliamentary investigations into prison conditions in Britain. The organiza ...

                                               

Burke, Idaho

Burke is a ghost town in Shoshone County, Idaho, United States, established in 1887. Once a thriving silver, lead and zinc mining community, the town saw significant decline in the mid-twentieth century after the closure of several mines. In the ...

                                               

Fort Lemhi

Fort Lemhi was a mission approximately two miles north of present-day Tendoy, Idaho, occupied by Mormon missionaries from 1855 to 1858. Approximately twenty-seven Mormons left Salt lake valley on may 18, 1855, at the direction of Brigham young wi ...

                                               

Highline Fire

The Highline Fire is a wildfire currently burning in Payette National Forest, 23 mile east of Warren in Idaho in the United States. The fire was reported on July 29, 2017. The cause of the fire was lightning. The fire has burned 84.619 acres and ...

                                               

Crenshaw House (Gallatin County, Illinois)

The Crenshaw House is an historic former residence and alleged haunted house located in Equality Township, Gallatin County, Illinois. The house was constructed in the 1830s. It was the main residence of John Crenshaw, his wife, and their five chi ...

                                               

LGBT history in Illinois

The U.S. state of Illinois has an active LGBT history, centered on its largest city Chicago, where by the 1920s a gay village had emerged in the Old Town district. Chicago was also the base for the shortlived Society for Human Rights, an early LG ...

Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →