Blog page 266




                                               

East Wickham

East Wickham is an urban village in the London Borough of Bexley in south-east London. It lies immediately north-west of Welling. It is in the historic county of Kent.

                                               

Foots Cray

Foots Cray is an area of South East London, England, within the London Borough of Bexley and the historic county of Kent. It is located south-east of Sidcup.

                                               

Glasshouse Yard

The Liberty of Glasshouse Yard was an extra-parochial liberty adjacent to the City of London. The liberty took its name from a glass manufacturing works established there. The area now forms part of the London Borough of Islington.

                                               

Hackney (parish)

Hackney was a parish in the historic county of Middlesex. The parish church of St John-at-Hackney was built in 1789, replacing the nearby former 16th-century parish church dedicated to St Augustine. The original tower of that church was retained ...

                                               

Hayes, Bromley

Hayes is a suburban area of South East London, England, within the London Borough of Bromley and the historic county of Kent. It is located south of Bromley, and 11 miles south-east of Charing Cross and it neighbours Coney Hall.

                                               

Hornsey (parish)

Hornsey was an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex. It was both a civil parish, used for administrative purposes, and an ecclesiastical parish of the Church of England.

                                               

Kingston upon Thames (parish)

Kingston upon Thames was an ancient parish in the county of Surrey, England. By 1839 it contained these chapelries, curacies or ecclesiastical parishes which eventually became civil parishes in their own right: It follows from the above list of c ...

                                               

Lee, London

Lee, also known as Lee Green, is a district of south east London, England, within the London Boroughs of Lewisham and Greenwich. It is located west of Eltham and east of Lewisham town centre. It is within the historic county of Kent. St Margarets ...

                                               

Little Ilford

It is located near to Ilford historically known as Great Ilford in the London Borough of Redbridge. They are divided from each other by the North Circular Road, the Alders Brook and the River Roding, and connected by the A118 road. There is a lar ...

                                               

Merton (parish)

Merton is an ancient parish which was first in Surrey but since 1965 has been in London, bounded by Wimbledon to the north, Mitcham to the east, Morden, Cheam and Cuddington to the south and Malden to the west. The 1871 Ordnance Survey map record ...

                                               

Mile End New Town

Mile End New Town is a former hamlet and then civil parish in the East End of London. Its former area is now part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

                                               

Minories

Minories is the name of a former civil parish, also known as Minories Holy Trinity, and a street in the City of London, close to the Tower of London.

                                               

North Cray

North Cray is a village in south-east London, England, within the London Borough of Bexley. It is 12.6 miles south-east of Charing Cross. It lies on the River Cray, east of Sidcup and south of Bexley, and is in the Cray Meadows electoral ward, wh ...

                                               

Liberty of Norton Folgate

Norton Folgate was a liberty within the metropolitan area of London, England, located between the Bishopsgate ward of the City of London to the south, the parish of St Leonard, Shoreditch to the north and the parish of Spitalfields to the east. I ...

                                               

Old Artillery Ground

The Old Artillery Ground is an area of land in Spitalfields, London formerly designated one of the Liberties of the Tower of London and Crown Land. Originally the outer precinct of the Priory and Hospital of St Mary Spital, it was converted to an ...

                                               

Old Tower Without

Old Tower Without was an extra-parochial place, usually described as a "precinct", and after 1858 a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. Old Tower Without was outside the jurisdiction of either the City of London or the Count ...

                                               

Plumstead

Plumstead is in the historic county of Kent and the detail of much of its early history can be found in Edward Hasteds extensive history of Kent. In 960 King Edgar gave four plough lands, collectively called Plumstead, to a monastery - St Augusti ...

                                               

Liberty of the Rolls

The Liberty of the Rolls was a liberty, and civil parish from 1866, in the metropolitan area of London, England. It consisted of the part of the ancient parish of St Dunstan-in-the-West that was in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex, the rest wa ...

                                               

Ruxley

Ruxley is a small settlement in southeast London, England, with no present formal boundaries. It is located 21 km southeast by east of Charing Cross, in the northeast corner of the London Borough of Bromley on the borough boundary with the southe ...

                                               

Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden, Ely Rents and Ely Place

The Liberty of Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden, Ely Rents and Ely Place became a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England between 1866 and 1930. It was part of the ancient parish of St Andrew Holborn. The libertys southern boundary wa ...

                                               

St. Andrew, Stoke Newington

St. Andrew, Stoke Newington is a Grade II* listed Anglican parish church on Bethune Road in Stamford Hill, in the London Borough of Hackney, England. The church, which is dedicated to St Andrew, is located at the junction of Bethune Road and Duns ...

                                               

Precinct of the Savoy

The Precinct of the Savoy, also known as Savoy St John the Baptist, was a component of the Liberty of the Savoy in the metropolitan area of London, England. It was located between the Strand and the River Thames. Formerly extra-parochial, it was ...

                                               

Shoreditch (parish)

Shoreditch was an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex. It was both a civil parish, used for administrative purposes, and an ecclesiastical parish of the Church of England. The parish church is St Leonards, Shoreditch, often simply called "S ...

                                               

South Hornsey

South Hornsey was a local government district in Middlesex, England from 1865 to 1900. The district was formed in 1865 when the Local Government Act 1858 was adopted in the southern part of the parish of Hornsey. South Hornsey Local Board was for ...

                                               

Southwark Christchurch

Southwark Christchurch was a parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It was the manor and liberty of Paris Garden until 1670. The parish was included in the returns of the Bills of mortality from 1671, having previously been included ...

                                               

Southwark St George the Martyr

Southwark St George the Martyr was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England and part of the ancient Borough of Southwark. In 1855 the parish vestry became a local authority within the area of responsibility of the Metropolitan B ...

                                               

Southwark St John Horsleydown

Southwark St John Horsleydown was a small parish on the south bank of the River Thames in London, opposite the Tower of London. The name Horsleydown, apparently derived from the "horse lie-down" next to the river, is no longer used. The parish wa ...

                                               

Southwark St Olave

Southwark St Olave was an ancient civil and ecclesiastical parish on the south bank of the River Thames, covering the area around where Shard London Bridge now stands in the modern London Borough of Southwark. The boundaries varied over time but ...

                                               

Southwark St Saviour

Southwark St Saviour was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England, and part of the ancient Borough of Southwark. It was formed in 1541 from the union of the parishes of St Margaret and St Mary. It was abolished in 1930, however ...

                                               

Spitalfields

Spitalfields is a district in the East End of London and within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The area is formed around Commercial Street and includes the locale around Brick Lane, Christ Church, Toynbee Hall and Commercial Tavern. It has ...

                                               

St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr

St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, that existed from 1767 to 1930.

                                               

St Anne Within the Liberty of Westminster

St Anne Within the Liberty of Westminster, also known as St Anne Soho, was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. The creation of the parish accompanied the building of St Annes Church, Soho to meet the demands of the growing ...

                                               

St Botolph without Aldgate

St Botolph without Aldgate was an ancient parish in the metropolitan area of London. The parish was partly within the City of London and partly in the County of Middlesex. Each part operated as a separate parish for civil administration with its ...

                                               

St Clement Danes (parish)

St Clement Danes was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England; an ecclesiastical version remains. The parish was split between the Liberty of Westminster and the Liberty of the Duchy of Lancaster. The area is colloquially split ...

                                               

St George Hanover Square

St George Hanover Square was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. The creation of the parish accompanied the building of the St Georges Hanover Square Church, constructed by the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches to ...

                                               

St George in the East (parish)

St George in the East is a former civil parish, mirrored by a continuing Church of England parish and narrower conservation area in Shadwell, in London, England. It is traditionally north of Wapping in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Its nam ...

                                               

St Giles District (Metropolis)

St Giles District was a local government district in the metropolitan area of London, England from 1855 to 1900. The district was created by the Metropolis Management Act 1855, and comprised the civil parish of St Giles in the Fields and St Georg ...

                                               

St Martin in the Fields (parish)

St Martin in the Fields was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It took its name from the church of St Martin-in-the-Fields and was within the Liberty of Westminster. It included within its boundaries the former extra-paro ...

                                               

St Mary le Strand (parish)

St Mary le Strand was an ancient parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It was partly within the Liberty of the Savoy and partly within the Liberty of Westminster. It took its name from the church of St Mary and the Innocents. The ch ...

                                               

St Paul Covent Garden

St Paul Covent Garden was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. The former area of the parish now corresponds to the Covent Garden market and surrounding streets in the City of Westminster.

                                               

Stepney (parish)

The parish had Anglo-Saxon origins as the vill of Stepney, a larger area including Hackney and Bromley-by-Bow. The vill was under the direct jurisdiction of the Bishops of London, and was centred on a church that eventually was dedicated to St Du ...

                                               

Stoke Newington (parish)

Stoke Newington was an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex. It was both a civil parish, used for administrative purposes, and an ecclesiastical parish of the Church of England.

                                               

West Wickham

West Wickham is a suburban area of South East London, England, within the London Borough of Bromley and the historic county of Kent. It is on the line of a Roman road, the London to Lewes Way, and is east of Croydon and south west of Bromley. It ...

                                               

Westminster St James

Westminster St James was a civil parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. The creation of the parish followed the building of the Church of St James, Piccadilly in 1684. After several failed attempts, the parish was formed in 1685 from ...

                                               

Westminster St Margaret and St John

St Margaret was an ancient parish in the City and Liberty of Westminster and the county of Middlesex. It included the core of modern Westminster, including the Palace of Westminster and the area around, but not including Westminster Abbey. It was ...

                                               

Woolwich (parish)

Woolwich, also known as Woolwich St Mary, was an ancient parish containing the town of Woolwich on the south bank of the Thames and North Woolwich on the north bank. The parish was governed by its vestry from the 16th century to 1852, based in th ...

                                               

Frank Lawrence Combes

Frank Lawrence Combes was a British politician and trade unionist, who served on the London County Council. Born in Sussex, Combes moved to Kentish Town, where he worked as a plasterer. In 1902, he joined the National Association of Operative Pla ...

                                               

Harry Poland

Sir Harry Bodkin Poland was a British barrister who worked at the Bar from 1851 to 1895. He also served as Counsel to the Treasury and Adviser to the Home Office from 1865 to 1889. He was knighted in 1895. In his memoir "Seventy-Two Years at the ...

                                               

John William Dennis

John William Dennis was a British politician. He was Mayor of Westminster in 1907–08, when he was described as Liberal Unionist. He was a Conservative Party Member of Parliament from 1918 to 1922 for the constituency of Birmingham Deritend. He wa ...

                                               

Mayor of Hackney

The mayor of Hackney is a directly elected mayor responsible for the executive function of Hackney London Borough Council in London, England. The inaugural holder Jules Pipe was succeeded by Philip Glanville following an election on September 15, ...