Blog page 267




                                               

Municipal Borough of Beddington and Wallington

Beddington and Wallington was, from 1915 to 1965, a local government district in north east Surrey, England. It formed part of the London suburbs, lying within the Metropolitan Police District and the London Passenger Transport Area. In 1965 it w ...

                                               

Brentford Urban District

Brentford was a local government district in the county of Middlesex, England from 1874 to 1927. Brentford Local Government District was created in 1874 under the Local Government Act 1858 and covered the civil parish of New Brentford and the cha ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Bromley

Bromley was a local government district in northwest Kent from 1867 to 1965 around the town of Bromley. The area was suburban to London, and formed part of the Metropolitan Police District and from 1933 was included in the area of the London Pass ...

                                               

Bromley Rural District

Bromley was a rural district in north-west Kent, England from 1894 to 1934. Its area now forms part of the London Borough of Bromley in Greater London. It did not include the main settlement of the same name, which constituted the Municipal Borou ...

                                               

Carshalton Urban District

Carshalton was a local government district in north east Surrey from 1883 to 1965 around the town of Carshalton. The parish of Carshalton adopted the Local Government Act 1858 in 1883 and a local board was formed to govern the town. The Local Gov ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Chingford

Chingford was a local government district in south west Essex, England from 1894 to 1965, around the town of Chingford. It was within the London suburbs, forming part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Police District. Its former area ...

                                               

Chiswick Urban District

Chiswick was a local government district in the county of Middlesex, England from 1858 to 1927. It was part of the London postal district and the Metropolitan Police District. The Chiswick Improvement Act 1858 created a board of 19 commissioners, ...

                                               

Coulsdon and Purley Urban District

Coulsdon and Purley Urban District was a local government district in northeast Surrey from 1915 to 1965. The local authority was Coulsdon and Purley Urban District Council. The former area of the district is now mostly part of the London Borough ...

                                               

Crayford Urban District

Crayford was a local government district in north west Kent from 1920 to 1965 around the town of Crayford. As well as Crayford, it included Barnehurst, Barnes Cray and Slade Green. It was created an urban district in 1920 from part of Dartford Ru ...

                                               

County Borough of Croydon

The County Borough of Croydon was a local government district in and around the town of Croydon in north east Surrey, England from 1889 to 1965. Since 1965 the district has been part of the London Borough of Croydon within Greater London.

                                               

Croydon Rural District

Croydon was a rural district in north east Surrey, England, United Kingdom, from 1894 to 1915. It was created by the Local Government Act 1894 and replaced the Croydon Rural Sanitary District. The district surrounded the County Borough of Croydon ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Dagenham

Dagenham was a local government district in south west Essex, England from 1926 to 1965 covering the parish of Dagenham. Initially created as an urban district, it was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1938. It was established to deal with t ...

                                               

Dartford Rural District

Dartford Rural District was a rural district with an area of 34.037 acres in the county of Kent, England. In 1971 it had a population of 64.561 and an electorate of 43.911. At dissolution it was the most populous rural district council in Kent, b ...

                                               

East Barnet Urban District

East Barnet Valley was a local government district from 1863 to 1965 around the town of East Barnet. It was partly in the counties of Hertfordshire and Middlesex until 1889, when the Middlesex part was transferred to Hertfordshire. It was renamed ...

                                               

County Borough of East Ham

East Ham was a local government district in the far south west of Essex from 1878 to 1965. It extended from Wanstead Flats in the north to the River Thames in the south and from Green Street in the west to Barking Creek in the east. It was part o ...

                                               

Elstree Rural District

Elstree Rural District was a rural district in Hertfordshire, England from 1894 to 1974. It was formed under the Local Government Act 1894 as Barnet Rural District, as successor to the Barnet rural sanitary district. The rural district had an ide ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Erith

Erith was a local government district in north west Kent from 1876 to 1965 around the town of Erith. It also included the generally suburban areas of Northumberland Heath, Belvedere, and parts of Barnehurst, Bexleyheath, Crayford and the SE2 Lond ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Finchley

Finchley was a local government district in Middlesex, England, from 1878 to 1965. It formed part of the northern suburbs of London and was within the Metropolitan Police District and London Passenger Transport Area. Its former area now forms par ...

                                               

Friern Barnet Urban District

Friern Barnet Urban District was a local government area in Middlesex, England created in 1883 from the civil parish Friern Barnet. It was succeeded by the London Borough of Barnet in 1965 as one of the smaller of its contributory predecessor dis ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Hendon

Hendon was an ancient civil parish of around 8.250 acres which included Mill Hill on the border of Hertfordshire, as well as Golders Green and Childs Hill on the border of what became the County of London. In 1894 it was created an urban district ...

                                               

Hendon Rural District

Hendon was a rural district in Middlesex, England from 1894 to 1934. The rural district was established in 1894 under the Local Government Act 1894, consisting of the following parishes: The parish of Hendon became an urban district in the same a ...

                                               

Hornchurch Urban District

The Hornchurch urban district was a civil parish of Hornchurch, and a local government district in southwest Essex from 1926 to 1965. It was greatly expanded in 1934 with the addition of Cranham, Great Warley, Rainham, Upminster and Wennington; a ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Hornsey

Hornsey was a local government district in east Middlesex from 1867 to 1965. In 1867, a Local Board was formed for part of the civil parish of Hornsey. The rest of the parish was already under South Hornsey Local Board formed in 1865. In 1894, un ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Ilford

Ilford was a civil parish and local government district in south west Essex, England from 1888 to 1965, covering the town Ilford. The district saw a considerable rise in population throughout its life, caused by the expansion of the built-up area ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Leyton

Leyton was a local government district in southwest Essex, England, from 1873 to 1965. It included the neighbourhoods of Leyton, Leytonstone and Cann Hall. It was suburban to London, forming part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Pol ...

                                               

Merton and Morden Urban District

Merton Urban District and Merton and Morden Urban District was an urban district in Surrey, England. It was formed in 1907 from the parish of Merton and was expanded in 1913 to take in Morden. The district was abolished in 1965 and its former are ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Mitcham

Mitcham was a local government district in north east Surrey from 1915 to 1965 around the town of Mitcham. It was created in 1915 as an urban district from part of the abolished Croydon Rural District. It gained the status of municipal borough in ...

                                               

Orpington Urban District

Orpington was a local government district in north west Kent from 1934 to 1965 around the town of Orpington, England. It was a suburb of London, but formed part of the Metropolitan Police District. Most of the former area of the urban district is ...

                                               

Orsett Rural District

Orsett Rural District was a local government district in south Essex, England from 1894 to 1936. It was formed as a rural district in 1894. From 1835, the constituent parishes had made up the Orsett Poor Law Union and from 1875 they formed the Or ...

                                               

Penge Urban District

Penge was a civil parish and a local government district located to the southeast of London, England. It included the settlements of Penge, Anerley and part of Crystal Palace. It was part of the London postal district, Metropolitan Police Distric ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Romford

Romford was a local government district in southwest Essex from 1851 to 1965. It was significantly expanded in 1934 and gained the status of municipal borough in 1937. The population density of the district consistently increased during its exist ...

                                               

Romford Rural District

Romford Rural District was a local government district in southwest Essex, England from 1894 to 1934. It surrounded, but did not include, Romford which formed a separate urban district. During the life of the district the area changed in use from ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Southgate

The area was historically part of the parish of Edmonton, which adopted the Public Health Act 1848 and formed a local board of health to govern the area in 1850. In 1879 the ratepayers of Southgate petitioned for their area to be separated from E ...

                                               

Staines Rural District

Staines Rural District was a rural district of Middlesex in England from 1894 to 1930. It was created in 1894 replacing the 1875-created Staines rural sanitary district. It co-governed with varying degrees of input from the civil parish councils ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Surbiton

Until 1855 Surbiton was administered as part of the parish of Kingston upon Thames. In that year a body of improvement commissioners was formed by a local act of parliament to govern the area.

                                               

Municipal Borough of Tottenham

Tottenham was a local government district in north east Middlesex from 1850 to 1965. It was part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Police District. In 1850 a local board of health was established for the civil parish of Tottenham and ...

                                               

Uxbridge Rural District

Uxbridge was, from 1875 to 1929, a local government district in Middlesex, England. The district was formed as a rural sanitary district in 1875. It mirrored the Uxbridge Poor Law Union so excluded the compact market town of Uxbridge to the west ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Walthamstow

Walthamstow was a local government district in southwest Essex, England from 1873 to 1965, around the town of Walthamstow. It was within the London suburbs, forming part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Police District. Its former a ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Wanstead and Woodford

Wanstead and Woodford was a local government district from 1934 to 1965 in southwest Essex, England. A merger of two former urban districts, it was suburban to London and part of the Metropolitan Police District.

                                               

County Borough of West Ham

West Ham was a local government district in the extreme south west of Essex from 1886 to 1965, forming part of the built-up area of London, although outside the County of London. It was immediately north of the River Thames and east of the River Lea.

                                               

West Ham

West Ham is a district in East London, located 6.1 mi east of Charing Cross Forming the centre western part of the modern London Borough of Newham, the West Ham electoral ward covers part of the central area of that borough. West Ham was an ancie ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Wimbledon

Wimbledon was a local government district in north-east Surrey from 1866 to 1965 covering the town of Wimbledon and its surrounding area. It was part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Police District. Wimbledon Local Government Distr ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Wood Green

Wood Green was a local government district in south east Middlesex from 1888 to 1965. Until 1888 Wood Green was part of Tottenham, and was included in the district of the Tottenham Local Board in 1850. Pressure from residents of the area led to t ...

                                               

Woodford Urban District

Woodford was a local government district in the county of Essex, England from 1873 to 1934, corresponding to the London suburb of Woodford. The parish of Woodford St Mary adopted the Local Government Act 1858 in 1873, setting up a local board of ...

                                               

Middlesex

Middlesex is a historic county in southeast England. Its area is almost entirely within the wider urbanised area of London and mostly within the ceremonial county of Greater London, with small sections in neighbouring ceremonial counties. It was ...

                                               

History of local government districts in Middlesex

The History of local government districts in Middlesex outside the metropolitan area began in 1835 with the formation of poor law unions. This was followed by the creation of various forms of local government body to administer the rapidly growin ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Acton

In 1865 the Local Government Act 1858 was adopted by the parish of Acton, and a twelve-member local board of health was formed to govern the area. The Local Government Act 1894 constituted the area an urban district, and an urban district council ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Brentford and Chiswick

Brentford and Chiswick was a local government district of Middlesex, England from 1927 to 1965. It was created an urban district in 1927 by a merger of the former area of the Brentford Urban District and the Chiswick Urban District. It gained the ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Ealing

Ealing was a local government district from 1863 to 1965 around the town of Ealing which formed part of the built up area of London until 1965, where it became part of Greater London. A local board of health was formed for the southern part of th ...

                                               

Municipal Borough of Edmonton

Edmonton was a local government district in north-east Middlesex, England, from 1850 to 1965. Edmonton local board was formed in 1850 for the parish of Edmonton All Saints. In 1881 Southgate was separated from the Edmonton local boards district, ...